Thursday 14 July 2011

What will it be like?

Yesterday I finished reading a book: Heaven Is for Real: A Little Boy's Story.  The basic story is that a family with a 3 year old boy nearly loses him to a burst appendix. After the ordeal, described in excruciating detail, the child has knowledge of events, persons and people impossible to explain and also describes meeting Jesus, John the Baptist and seeing God in heaven.  It was an easy read, enjoyable and in no way a soapbox to brow beat anyone.  I purchased it on my Kindle for just over $6.

I have spent time with my Sr. High Sunday School class trying to figure things out about heaven.  Simple, right?  We recently went through Revelation and it spends a bit of time trying to describe it.  In the book I just mentioned the little guy said there is no one old in heaven.  A great-grandparent he met while in heaven he didn't recognize in pictures until they showed him a picture taken when that great-grandparent was a young man.  What age were Adam and Eve when they were created?  That would likely be the 'age' we would be.  Does that mean that infants and children are that age too or are they forever infants and children?  As usual one question answered brings up another two or three that rise out of that answer.  How many people will be there?  Take into account the world population since the beginning of ??? - then estimate a percentage of that ??? - Then take into account the world population as it is today 6-7 Billion and then estimate a percentage of that (1% = 60-70 million) and suddenly heaven starts to look like a crowded place!  Then, of course, I begin to estimate that if it took Jesus just 10 minutes to interview each person and greet them... (300 million - a guess - times 10 minutes = 3 billion minutes divided by 24 hrs times 365 days = a honkin long time if you are at the back of the line!

See what fun it can be?

Brad Paisley recorded a song written by Rivers Rutherford/George Teren: When I get Where I'm Goin'

When I get where I'm goin'
On the far side of the sky
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly
I'm gonna land beside a lion
And run my fingers through his mane
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain

Chorus:
   Yeah, when I get where I'm going
   There'll be only happy tears
   I will shed the sins and struggles
   I have carried all these years
   And I'll leave my heart wide open
   I will love and have no fear
   Yeah when I get where I'm going
   Don't cry for me down here

I'm gonna walk with my grand-daddy
and he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I missed him
Every minute since he left - then I'll hug his neck
   Chorus then Bridge:

    So much pain and so much darkness
     In this world we stumble through
     All these questions I can't answer
     So much work to do

But when I get where I'm going
And I see my Maker's face
I'll stand forever in the light of His Amazing Grace

Chorus

That kinda sums it up for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment