Monday 6 January 2014

Learning to Love what cannot be seen

These past few weeks I have been mulling over a statement made by the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 4.  He says in verse 16ff:
     "Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner
       man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for
       us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the
       things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are
       seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

The modern world, the world of science, demands that only palpable, measureable, physical 'stuff' is real.  God cannot be measured, felt, seen or heard.  The spiritual world is the same. So the modern world is in love with 'stuff'.  We are spending billions on proving that life came from other planets, that there are millions of earth-like planets out there and that on a statistical basis alone life should exist elsewhere in this vast universe.

As I live my life it is quite easy to love that which is beautiful in this world.  The scenes flash across my screen saver every day showing breath-taking scenes of beauty, tranquility and peace.

But Paul is tugging at my heart.  If I love these things I am learning to love something that will someday no longer exist.  It is temporal (even though uncountable years are involved and it will long outlast me) and not permanent.  Paul urges me to look for the things that are not seen because they are truly eternal.  This 'bakes my noodle' because how do I love something I cannot see?

Then I remember that Jesus made a simple statement: "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also".

So I am learning how to love what cannot be seen.  I want to put my treasure someplace that won't be subject to fading away.  It isn't easy to do because my eyes work so well! 

So until next time... 'looking for invisible stuff'!

No comments:

Post a Comment