Tuesday 13 September 2011

A Tenth Anniversary survived

As anyone with access to the T.V. internet or any other kind of media knows we just passed the 10th Anniversary of a terrible day for anyone in the Fire/Police community.  I had the very distinct priviledge of being the person who was designated to preach at our church on that day.  I asked all the men/women in our church who are LEOFF (Law Enforcement Officers/Fire Fighters) and there are easily a dozen and a half from all over the area, to wear their uniforms or Class A uniforms in a show of respect for those who died that day.  Not everyone could do it.  Some felt it would draw undue attention on themselves and so chose to dress normally.  I completely understand.  What really surprised me (and it shouldn't have) was that the police officers who came to church in uniform were armed!  Of course they were!  Once you put on the uniform you identify yourself as a target.  No officer I know would like to announce that to the world without the ability to defend themselves.  It is a lot easier for we firefighters.  People like us.

If you would like to listen to the 'sermon' you may do so at the website of the church.  Just go to cedarhome.org and look for the title "Don't Let Your Heart Be Troubled: You Mean I've Got a Choice?" in the appropriate section.  Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment