Wednesday 23 October 2013

Profundity and all that.

There are times in life when it would be nice to have a trove of profound thoughts and sayings stored up for use in the perfect moment.  All too often though, I find myself seeing the perfect moment slip by without so much as a word.  In fact I usually find profound moments in my 'rear view mirror' instead of coming attractions down the road.  Isn't that the real world anyway?  How many cringe worthy events can you recall where your profound comment was limited to 'duh?' or 'what did you say?'  I can think of four or five moments right off the top where I recall my comment or response with absolute clarity to the point that I can make myself blush!  Some of those events happened 40 or more years ago too!  Why don't I have great moments of profound wisdom rolling from my lips in that same dead light of clarity?  Perhaps this is why... I am not the one who gets to declare a thought or statement as profound.

Drat!

Perhaps this is also why we can appreciate poetry or music as the writer or composer has the luxury of spending quality time over the phrasing, tempo, metre and lilt. "If I had that kind of time, energy and expertise I too could compose a sonnet, write a top 10 hit, or have my work quoted in school papers everywhere."  Dream on buddy!

So I will have to let this blog scratch that proverbial itch and leaving it up to you, the reader, to decide if any 'pearls' escape to be quoted some day later on.

So here are a couple of pearls that I have found in birthday cards over the years.  My family will attest to the fact that I still have some of these in my possession!

"When it comes to friends you are a peach."  (Then inside the card) "Well, except for the fuzz and that 'butt crack' thing."

A Birthday Poem

"It's easy to smile
when your ship comes in
and your friends all like you a lot.
But brave is the man
who still can smile
when his shorts creep up in a knot!"

(And my all time favorite!)

[Picture of a rather portly couple in the kitchen of their home]
We've given up sex for eating.
(Inside the card)
Now we can't even get in our own pants!

Hope you have enjoyed my 'moments of profundity'.

I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment