Thursday 31 October 2013

Sic Transit Gloria

I have been struck lately by the thought of how things are always in transit.  Whenever I get frustrated by things at work I stop and realize that this isn't going to be my workplace for very much longer. 

All we are
    is dust in the wind
           dude.

Now it would be quite easy to make the step towards what is called nihilism.  Nothing matters, nothing changes, it doesn't matter what you do, how you live, what choices you make.  It will all come to nothing in the end.  Therefore (to quote that famous twosome)   Party on dude!

Interesting that Scripture says that we will give an account for every word we say!   Seems to go against that view that nothing matters, eh?

I am now the age I remember my grandparents being when I was a small child.  Time will pass and my grandsons will be sitting at a computer in the future and... you know, I don't know where they will be sitting in the future!  What I hope is that they will remember me with fondness, with a certainty that they were loved and cherished by those who went before.

I love reading Norm Maclean's "A River Runs Through It".

    "It is those we live with and love and should know who elude us.
     Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was
     younger are dead, but I still reach out to them."

Fortunately for me nearly all those I loved (and did not understand) are living and I still reach out to them.  Last quote from the famous twosome - Be excellent to each other!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're making an effort to post, because it gives me a chance for a more "inside" view than normal. The "thoughtful thoughts" that we all ponder upon as we go along . . . . it is interesting to get an idea of what is there on the road ahead. You're dealing with stuff I haven't even thought of yet, while I'm going through where you've already been. So interesting. There is a certain comfort in knowing that there is "nothing new under the sun". And strange that it is still so mysterious to us as we go along.

    I made a mental note to put "A River Runs Through It" on my list of audio books.

    "Be excellent to each other." I've got to start saying that to the boys. LOL

    ReplyDelete